Driving While License Suspended (DWLS) or Revoked (DWLSR)
Orlando DWLS Attorney Helps Clients Across Central Florida
There are two different types of offenses for Driving While License Suspended (DWLS) or Revoked (DWLR) in Florida: without knowledge, considered a civil infraction and with knowledge classified as a criminal offense rather than a basic traffic violation.
A criminal conviction has long lasting consequences in your daily live, that is why it is so important to consult with a highly experienced Orlando DWLSR lawyer if you are charged with Driving While License Suspended in Orlando or anywhere in Central Florida.
Reasons For A Driver's License Suspension In Florida
There are a variety of reasons why your driver license can be suspended in Florida. Probably the most common reason for a suspension is a traffic ticket that has not been properly paid, contested or elected to go to a traffic school. Among other reasons are:
- A DUI conviction
- Points Suspension
- Failure to pay child support
- Failure to appear in court
- Habitual traffic offender
- Conviction for a drug or theft offense
- Conviction for certain prostitution offenses
- Failure to pay court costs
- Failure to pay a judgment
- Failure to have adequate car insurance
- Conviction for certain prostitution offenses
DWLSR Conviction in Florida - Penalties And Consequences
Florida laws covering driving while license suspended or revoked (DWLSR) are extremely complex, and the range of harsh penalties you could face is vast.
Any person whose driver’s license or driving privilege has been cancelled, suspended, or revoked as provided by law, except habitual traffic offenders, who, knowing of such cancellation, suspension, or revocation, drives any motor vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended, or revoked, will be charged as follows:
- First DWLSR conviction: The individual will be guilty of a second degree misdemeanor
- Second DWLSR conviction: The individual will be guilty of a first degree misdemeanor
- Third or more DWLSR conviction: The individual will be guilty of a third degree felony
The Florida statute says that having knowledge that your license has been revoked, suspended, canceled, or disqualified has been satisfied if you admit that you knew your license was revoked, suspended, canceled, or disqualified, or if you received notice that your license has been revoked, suspended, canceled, or disqualified.
Even a basic first offense carries potential jail time and a $500 fine. If this is not your first offense, penalties are even more severe and police have the authority to seize your vehicle.
DWLSR Charges - Considerations For Your Defense
If you are charged with DWLS in Orlando or anywhere in Central Florida, it is essential for you to consult a DWLS lawyer who will analyze your case and explore all options for protecting your record and future.
Critical considerations in your case may include:
- Whether a prosecutor can prove you committed this offense knowingly — or your defense lawyer can establish that you were not properly notified of your suspension or revocation
- Whether you have prior DWLSR offenses, lost your license for DUI or have been labeled a habitual traffic offender for other reasons
- Your attorney's experience and ability to present the most compelling case and negotiate effectively with prosecutors on your behalf
Contact Our Experienced Driving While License Suspended Attorneys In Orlando FL
Your ability to drive a motor vehicle often plays an important role in how you conduct your day to day business. A conviction of driving with a license suspended or revoked could change your life. You may have difficulty getting around and doing the things that you need to do.
DWLSR is a very common offense in the state of Florida and throughout the nation. However, just because you have been charged with DWLSR does not mean that you will never legally drive again; you have options. Give us the opportunity to help you get back on the road. At LaBar & Adams we are here to help explain to you the options that you do have. Contact our experienced Orlando DWLS attorneys today. Our focus is on identifying the best defense strategy based on your circumstances and specific goals. You can call us at 1-866-680-4LAW or fill out our online form located at the top of the page and one of our highly experienced criminal defense lawyers will contact you shortly. We respond to after-hours messages promptly. Evening or weekend appointments are available upon request We respect your privacy and will keep all your information confidential.