Are Tipped Employees in Florida Entitled to Minimum Wage?
Published on April 24, 2016
Workers from the hospitality and restaurant industry in Orlando frequently ask if they are entitled to minimum wage. Employment law attorney Ryan LaBar addresses the subject. Contact us at 407-835-8968 to schedule a consultation.
Are tipped employees from the hospitality and restaurant industry in Florida entitled to minimum wage?
LaBar Adams is located in Orlando, Florida. Because we’re located in Orlando, Florida, we get a lot of questions and we have a lot of clients who are in the hospitality and the restaurant industry. We get a lot of questions about tipped employees and whether or not they’re entitled to minimum wage. The short answer is, we’re all entitled to minimum wage.
In the hospitality and the tipped industry sector, employers are entitled to a tipped credit, or they can be entitled to a tipped credit. All that means is, the employer is entitled to take whatever tips the employee gets, to ensure, in the calculation, that the minimum wage law is satisfied. So, under our scenario that we previously used, the $10 an hour minimum wage, if the person receives $8 an hour in tips, the employer gets credit for that, so the employer would only have to pay another $2, and they would reach the minimum wage requirement.
- An Overtime and Minimum Wage Claim Survives a Party’s Death
- The Fair Labor Standards Act will Cover More Employees Commencing on December 1, 2016
- Employment Lawyers of LaBar & Adams have been named Class Counsel
- Am I Exempt from Overtime Pay and Minimum Wage Laws?
- Employees are Entitled to Prompt Payment of Overtime Pay and Minimum Wage
- Can Salespersons Be Entitled To Overtime Pay And Minimum Wage?
- Who Can Be Responsible For an Employee's Unpaid Overtime Pay And Minimum Wage Pursuant To The FLSA?
- Are Employees Complaining About Not Receiving Overtime Pay Or Minimum Wage Protected From Retaliation?
- Are Independent Contractors Entitled to Overtime Pay and Minimum Wage?
- Are Employees That Are Paid By Straight Commission Entitled To Overtime Pay And Minimum Wage?
- Are Employees Entitled to Overtime Pay And Minimum Wage When Pay And Time Records Do Not Reflect The Hours Actually Worked?
- Are Salaried Employees Entitled To Overtime Pay And Minimum Wage?
- When Are Interns Entitled to Overtime Pay and Minimum Wage?
- Rectifying Substandard Wages and Oppressive Working Hours
- What is Overtime Pay?
- Are Salaried Employees in Florida Entitled to Overtime Pay?
- What is Overtime Pay
- Who Gets Overtime Pay in Florida?